Lead Speech and Language Therapist (Acute)
The Wellington Hospital has over four decades of expertise; providing the highest level of care for patients who are looking for the best treatment in key areas of healthcare, including: neurosurgery, spinal surgery, cardiac care, orthopaedics, acute neurological rehabilitation, gynaecology and cancer care.
In our 50-bed Acute Neurological Rehabilitation Unit we care for patients with a wide range of complex neurological conditions. And we're supported by the UK’s largest private intensive care unit. We also offer the latest cancer and robotic surgery treatments, including electrochemotherapy, HIPEC and the da Vinci Robot. Having the largest neurosciences unit in London means we're able to carry out advanced spinal surgery, intracranial and peripheral nerve surgery as well as pioneering neurosurgery.
To lead the activities of the Speech and Language Therapy Services on the Acute Inpatient Services. To provide a high quality Speech and Language Therapy Service to inpatients with communication, cognitive and swallowing problems, across all wards of the hospital (including neurosurgery and Intensive Care Unit). To work closely with the Head of Acute Therapies to establish and promote the delivery of high quality treatment, including implementing quality initiatives and quality assurance methods. To work as an effective team member of multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary teams.
This is a full time role working 37.5hrs per week with an attractive and competitive salary dependent upon skills and experience.
Reward and recognition:
We reward your commitment in delivering the highest standard of care with generous and competitive benefits such as our contribution pension scheme, private medical insurance, annual salary review, 247.5hrs holiday each year; with the option to buy and sell. We invest in your career development with clear career pathways and access to further education. We can also offer you support with relocation if you are living outside of London or the UK; subject to terms and conditions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To lead and develop the Speech and Language Therapy Services on all the acute inpatient wards, including within the Intensive Care / Treatment Unit (ICU / ITU), and Outreach Services.
- To collaborate with the Lead SLT (Rehabilitation) and AHP Manager to manage the staffing needs of the department and facilitate the achievement of departmental objectives.
- To assess and treat inpatients with communication, cognitive and swallowing problems.
- To provide comprehensive initial and ongoing assessments for each patient.
- To plan and implement treatment using a goal planning system within the interdisciplinary team.
- To maintain accurate, up to date and concise treatment records detailing the individual patient’s treatment plan and progress.
- To ensure patients and carers are involved in the planning and delivery of their own care.
- To assess patients with swallowing disorders using videofluoroscopy or FEES, where appropriate.
Skills & Experience
- Professional qualification in Speech and Language Therapy.
- To be a registered member of RCSLT and HCPC
- Extensive experience in neurology, including stroke management.
- Experience working within an in-patient setting including work in an intensive care setting.
- Experience in successfully managing a team.
About The Individual
At HCA UK we recognise and value everyone as unique and individual; treat people with kindness and compassion; act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness and trust and treat one another as valued members of the HCA UK family. As someone looking to join our family, you will demonstrate these key values.
You will also actively participate as a member of a team, working together to achieve tasks, goals, and objectives; demonstrate a lead by example attitude to inspire our colleagues and patients; and deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results.
If you wish to find out more about this opportunity, please apply for this role and a member of the team will be in contact shortly.