Staff Nurse - Oncology
HCA Healthcare UK – The World’s largest private healthcare group; providing award winning primary, acute and complex care.
Situated in the heart of London's world-renowned medical district, The Princess Grace Hospital is recognised as one of the best-equipped multidisciplinary private hospitals in the capital. Our dedicated and highly trained team is committed to delivering an exemplary standard of clinical care across all specialties.
The Princess Grace Hospital has 127 registered beds, including 90 inpatient, 21 day case, 8 endoscopy, an urgent care unit and a Level 3 intensive care unit containing 9 beds, with 24-hour consultant cover and a high dependency unit. The hospital also has a several specialised centres, including; The London Breast Institute, recognised as one of the best private breast screening and diagnostic treatment centres in the UK; the London Digestive Centre, a highly specialised outpatient facility offering diagnoses and treatments for all conditions of the stomach, small and large intestines, liver, pancreas, and bile ducts; and The Institute of Sport Exercise and Health, a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to sport and exercise medicine.
A 27 bedded inpatient oncology unit, with patients at all stages of their cancer journey, providing acute and complex care. We work as part of a wide MDT and alongside consultants providing treatment for all types of solid tumours. We are a varied ward that includes caring for emergency oncology admissions, acutely unwell patients, those currently undergoing treatments or suffering from the side effects of treatments, such as chemotherapy, immunotherapy or radiotherapy, and those requiring palliative and end of life care.
The Staff Nurse will be responsible for working in a supporting experienced nursing team to assess, plan, deliver and evaluate high standards of specialist care to ensure that patients are cared for in a safe, caring and comfortable environment. This will include meeting their medical, physical and emotional needs by effectively communicating with the patient and their families.
As a Staff Nurse we understand cancer care is a challenging field and our friendly team work closely together to adopt a supportive culture. As part of HCA Healthcare our team are offered emotional support and career development.
This is a full time role working 37.5hrs per week on internal rotation to include days, nights and weekends.
The attractive and competitive salary for this role is between £31972 - £35169 (dependent upon skills and experience plus 9% enhancement
Reward & recognition – We reward your commitment in delivering the highest standard of care with generous and competitive benefits such as our contribution pension scheme, private medical insurance, annual salary review, 247.5hrs holiday each year; with the option to buy and sell. We invest in your career development with clear career pathways and access to further education. We can also offer you support with relocation if you are living outside of London or the UK; subject to terms and conditions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- As a staff nurse on the ward you will contribute to the smooth operational running of the unit, acting as a role model for junior team members and supporting the development and delivery of a high standard of specialist nursing care
- You will work closely with the ward sister, clinical nurse specialists and medical teams
- Act as a safe practitioner and work within the Nursing and Midwifery Council Code of Conduct, ensuring that those in your sphere of responsibility do the same
- Adhere to national guidelines are adhered to in relation to the administration of medicines, blood and blood products
- Participate in individual care needs of patients and develop appropriate care plans to implement and evaluate
- Monitor patient care and interventions appropriately
- Recognise deterioration in patients’ condition at an early stage, (including neutropenic patients) Refer to the senior nurse and medical team appropriately
- Attend IV/ chemotherapy drug administration training, complete workbook competence
- Report and document adverse incidents appropriately
- Initiate appropriate actions to isolate patients when required
- Implement a holistic approach in the care of patients requiring infection control precautions.
- Liaise with multi-disciplinary team (MDT)
- Maintain ward area in stocked items, equipment and waste to maintain a clean and safe environment
- Promote and maintain a safe environment for patients, visitors, and colleagues
Skills & Experience
- NHS or Private ward experience
- Passionate about patient care, respectful, responsible and committed
- Haematology experience is desirable. We offer a three month supportive probationary period which includes some supernumerary time
- Candidates to be passionate about delivering high standards of care and willing to invest in their own personal development and invest in the development of the unit in order that we can continue to keep providing exceptional care
About The Individual
At HCA UK we recognise and value everyone as unique and individual; treat people with kindness and compassion; act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness and trust and treat one another as valued members of the HCA UK family. As someone looking to join our family, you will demonstrate these key values.
You will also actively participate as a member of a team, working together to achieve tasks, goals, and objectives; demonstrate a lead by example attitude to inspire our colleagues and patients; and deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results.
If you wish to find out more about this opportunity, please apply for this role and a member of the team will be in contact shortly.