Veterans’ Nurse – Clinical Liaison
Reports to: Line Manager- Recovery Manager & Functional/Clinical Manager – Veterans Clinical Advisor
Based at: Phoenix House Recovery Centre, Catterick, DL9 3AW
Salary: £32,000 - £40,000 Circa Depending on experience
Contract Type: Fixed term contract (2 Years)
As the Veterans Nurse, Act as the single initial point of contact between Wounded Injured and Sick (WIS) with serious traumatic injury and the resultant long term health issues and the NHS, integrating H4H input to the medical pathway with the Recovery Centre MDT process. Where appropriate develop and coordinate a Veterans Injury Clinic alongside the NHS. Provide Clinical advice and support to the Beneficiaries their families and H4H staff.
The Veterans Nurse will be responsible to the Veterans Clinical Advisor for the assessment of clinical needs of individual beneficiaries, their case management and delivery of professional support as part of Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) working. The Veterans Nurse will be responsible to the Line Manager for day to day management.
- Establish effective working relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaise with the regional Personnel Recovery Unit (PRUs) regarding those who may require support during and post transition.
- Reach out to serving personnel, veterans and their families, working with partner agencies, charities and other organisations.
- Provide clinical advice and support to beneficiaries their families and H4H staff.
- Liaise with the regional NHS building a strong relationship, scoping the potential to develop a Veterans Clinic.
- Support the NHS to maintain patient contact, especially with those who are hard to reach.
- Arrange and accompany beneficiaries to appointments at the Veteran War Injury Clinic in Salisbury/Colchester.
- Attend the H4H Multi-Disciplinary Team meetings.
- Maintain an active database of cases and produce monthly updates.
- As the Veterans Nurse, support patients in managing complex treatment pathways, and actively following up individual progress.
- Liaise with other medical facilities where veterans with complex injuries are being treated.
- Attend relevant regional clinical meetings such as the NHS Armed Forces Network.
- Work with a range of agencies and charities identifying any new opportunities to develop the regional services across Recovery.
- Ensure client confidentiality meeting Data Protection requirements.
- Represent the Veterans Clinical Advisor as necessary.
- Ensure CPD is up to date to maintain current Nurse registration requirements.
- Participate in regular supervision.
- Registered Adult/General Nurse at Level/Band 6
- Current NMC Registration.
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Experience of operating within in the Defence Medical Service/MOD and NHS as a Registered Band 6 Nurse.
- An understanding of and empathy with the requirements of the Beneficiaries and their families.
- Maintain complete confidentiality, professionalism and trust when dealing with clients and staff.
- Full understanding of the Caldicott Guidelines
- As a Nurse, have a clear understanding of the principles of Clinical Governance
- Good organisational skill. A self-starter with the ability to work with the minimum of direction.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Mental Health experience
- Understanding of the 3rd Sector
Key Competencies & Behaviours
- Confident and polite manner
- Ability to build rapport quickly and to understand needs and expectations
- Positive, empathetic, patient, polite and friendly manner
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Displays the highest levels of integrity, confidentiality and commitment
- Respond quickly to changing demands and demonstrate strong skills in prioritisation and time management
- Work within a range of environments and working cultures, adapting personal style accordingly
- Lead and drive work forward with minimal direction
- Analyse information quickly and communicate in a concise and articulate manner
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise
- Attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Demonstrates an ability to work as part of a team and be a flexible team player
- Demonstrates self-motivation
- Flexible hours of work.
- Prepared to travel covering Catterick and Northern area including Northern Ireland which may require overnight stays.
- Attend occasional National meetings and events.