Section Head Cellular Pathology (CellPath)
HCA Healthcare UK – The World’s largest private healthcare group; providing award winning primary, acute and complex care.
HCA Laboratories has over 35 years’ experience in providing pathology services, for acute care in our HCA Hospitals, IVF Clinics, Insurance work, healthcare screening and GP services. We cover all disciplines in pathology including allergy, biochemistry and endocrinology, haematology and blood transfusion, histopathology and cytology, immunology, and microbiology and serology, with each laboratory equipped with the best available analytical instrumentation.
You will be responsible for the day to day & strategic management of Cellular Pathology department. It is expected that you practice as a registered Biomedical Scientist as per the regulations of the Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC). You will be responsible to Manage all non-medical staff, space and equipment allocated to the department to ensure an efficiently delivered service along with the management of Cellular Pathology department, including associated clinics and all aspects of the service.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Liaise closely with the laboratory CEO/COO with a view to obtaining the best service possible for the Cellular Pathology Department and giving maximum support to other departments.
- Liaise closely with the Clinical Director, DHOLs, consultant Medical staff and Medical Heads of Departments at all times, especially in establishing operational policies for the Cellular Pathology Department.
- Assess the operational and revenue consequences of new equipment and new developments in medical laboratory sciences and of new services offered by HCA or HCA Laboratories clients.
- Meet HCA’s requirements for the production of statistical information.
- Liaise closely with the DHOLs and with heads of support service departments e.g. engineers, domestic services, portering with a view to maintaining the efficiency of the laboratory service.
- Prepare budget setting information required for the annual budget setting, and business planning exercise.
- Be an information source for HCA on all matters pertaining to the management of the Cellular Pathology Department.
- Contribute to HCA Labs’ pool of management expertise reporting directly to the Deputy Head of Laboratory Operations.
- Supervise and manage the department computers.
- Act as professional lead for biomedical scientist staff within Cellular Pathology.
Skills & Experience
- Registered member of the Health & Care Professional Council (HCPC).
- Experience of working in a busy diagnostic laboratory and ability to work with biological tissue/fluids.
- Evidence of continual personal development.
- Expert knowledge of histology and cytology technical processes to include routine histology, Immunohistochemistry, cervical screening and diagnostic cytology.
- Knowledge & experience in laboratory Health and Safety procedures.
- Knowledge & experience in laboratory Quality Processes and Quality Management Systems. Compliance within UKAS and familiarity with accreditation guidelines.
- Ability to manage day to day issues, challenges and complaints.
- Prioritise workload, Interpretation and understanding of results.
- Troubleshooting of analytical equipment.
About The Individual
At HCA UK we recognise and value everyone as unique and individual; treat people with kindness and compassion; act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness and trust and treat one another as valued members of the HCA UK family. As someone looking to join our family, you will demonstrate these key values.
You will also actively participate as a member of a team, working together to achieve tasks, goals, and objectives; demonstrate a lead by example attitude to inspire our colleagues and patients; and deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results.
If you wish to find out more about this opportunity, please apply for this role and a member of the team will be in contact shortly.