Main purpose of the job
• Deliver effective staff management
• Planning and delivering the highest quality care and service to residents in accordance with the Charity’s Care Strategy and Star Qualities & Values.
1. Provide proactive visible leadership across the Home as a member of the Senior Management Team in line with our values
2. Manage the nursing / care team’s delivery of nursing and care including allocation, supervision, appraisal, investigation and performance management in-line with the charity’s policies
3. Provide professional mentorship and management support to RNs, and other clinical staff as required; ensure professional standards are maintained in accordance with all relevant codes and practices
4. Champion a professional, open, values-based culture that empowers staff to deliver high quality care
5. Provide effective leadership and management of dementia, physical health conditions and ill-being experienced by residents and supervise effective and appropriate interventions
6. Ensure person-centred care plans and risk assessments are created by registered nurses using the audit cycle to drive continuous improvement
7. Undertake comprehensive person-centred initial assessments (pre-admission) and ongoing assessments of older people
8. Support admissions to the Home for long term and short break care in compliance with the charity’s policies and our Royal Charter
9. First point of contact for visiting health professionals including monitoring of therapeutic outcomes
10. Proactively lead and engage in Clinical Governance/Risk Management
11. Support the Home Manager to ensure regulatory compliance including the implementation and monitoring of standards set out by the Care Quality Commission and other regulatory bodies
12. Ensure quality standards are met undertaking regular/monthly audits and observations and overseeing the actions / learnings from these
13. Work in partnership with residents and their families to ensure effective clinical treatment and wellbeing approaches are delivered
14. Plan and undertake the measurement and evaluation of practice and performance through clinical and wellbeing audits
15. Adhere to, and ensure others adhere to, all regulations, policies and procedures
16. Undertake other duties as may be requested from time to time, consistent with the nature of the post, to ensure the overall smooth running of the Homes and other services.
17. Maintain a high degree of confidentiality at all times.
• Home Manager
• Hospitality Services Manager
• Heads of Departments
• Visiting Professionals
Full-time (36 hours excluding breaks) worked across 7 days as 3 long days per week (7-7) including 1 weekend in 3 and occasional nights and out of hours visits.
Participate in the Senior Management Team on-call rota providing professional advice and attendance at the Home if required out of hours.
We are a values-based organisation and strive to demonstrate our values in all we do:
We carry out our work with love, care and compassion
We are optimistic in everything we do, supporting veterans and their partners in leading happy and fulfilled lives
As a family
We work and live as one team, one family, one community
Standing in their shoes
We show admiration and respect for people and never forget what they have done
We are not afraid to do what is right and what is needed
Our Mission Statement
To provide an outstanding range of quality care and therapies to veterans and their partners living with disability or dementia.
Essential behaviours / characteristics:
• An ‘engaged’, visible, hands-on leader and professional role model, leading by example, sharing the vision and passion
• Excellent at building positive relationships with colleagues
• Demonstrate warmth, compassion and understanding of older people with disabilities and physical care needs and, those living with a dementia
• Flexible, positive and proactive with a ‘can-do’ attitude
• Adaptable and innovative with drive, energy and passion to introduce new ideas and in a way that takes colleagues with you
• A commitment to personal and professional development
• Committed to our mission, values and to enabling outstanding care for the veteran community
• Willing to travel to undertake assessments and to the other Homes to share experience
• A Registered General Nurse with at least 5 years’ experience
• Experience of providing clinical and management supervision to Registered Nurses and Care staff
• An understanding of CQC regulations and the inspection process
• Proven ability to work to high standards and lead others to do the same
• Experience in confidently managing difficult situations
• Experience of and genuine desire to work in nursing and care of older people/dementia care
• Confident in using IT systems and supporting others to do the same
• Driving licence (ideally clean) with access to a car to be able to undertake assessments
• Previous management and leadership experience
• Previous experience in a senior role
The charity reserves the right to update and amend this job description to ensure is accurately reflects the role. This will be agreed in consultation with the job holder and where possible the charity would hope to achieve mutual agreement to any reasonable changes.
For more information and to apply, please click the apply button.