Registered Nurse (Days) - Solihull, West Midlands
Main Purpose of Job:
• To assess, plan, deliver and evaluate a personalised care package that meets the needs of the resident and the high standards expected by Royal Star & Garter. To ensure that at all times residents are treated with respect and dignity and that individual’s rights to privacy, independence and choice are met.
• To assist in leading and managing the Nursing and Care staff in the delivery of excellent nursing care, and participate in the day-to-day management of the Home's and promote the charity’s star qualities and star values at all times.
Key tasks and Responsibilities
• To comply with and practice within the NMC - ‘The Code’
• To act as a role model for the team by representing the values and beliefs of the nursing profession and of the Royal Star & Garter
• To arrange in consultation with the Home Manager, the moving in, transfer or discharge of residents in accordance with the charity's Policies
• To ensure effective management of the floor/family in the absence of the Lead Nurse/Manager
• To provide effective and accountable nursing care and clinical interventions to promote and maintain the health and wellbeing of residents at all times
• To actively participate in the day-to-day management of all stock, materials, medicines and stationery, ensuring economic use of resources
• To actively participate in Clinical and Non-Clinical audits to ensure delivery of high standards of care as determined by the national guidelines and Charity’s policies and procedures
• To maintain personal contact with residents, relatives and significant others, being sensitive to their needs
• To disseminate information to staff and residents and ensure timely and appropriate communication with all colleagues, visiting health professionals and external agencies
• To address inappropriate behaviour in others in a professional and timely manner
• To notify the Lead Nurse/Manager of any problems and incidents as appropriate and document accordingly
• To participate in meetings as required and follow up with any actions
• To maintain up-to-date nursing documentation, including electronic care plans, the resident diary and associated records in line with NMC recommendations and the Charity’s Policies
• To be responsible for inputting information into the resident IT records system, ensuring compliance with the Data Protection Act/GDPR
• To store, check and administer medication in accordance with the Home's policy.
• To monitor the standards of cleanliness within the Home and to take action where appropriate
• The post holder has no direct budgetary responsibility although they will have a responsibility for the delivery of cost effective care, ensuring staff allocation is in line with the skills mix and is cost effective.
HR and Training/Development
• To supervise and support qualified and unqualified staff on a day to day basis as delegated by the Lead Nurse/Manager
• To assist in the induction of new members of staff using the Buddy System
• To actively participate in the recruitment and selection process for nursing and care staff
• To provide supervision to allocated care staff at least six times per annum and one annual appraisal per annum
• To provide feedback on performance directly and sensitively in a timely manner whether the issue is positive or otherwise
• To provide mentorship to student nurses and trainee nursing associates
• To support staff in establishing personal development plans, identifying and addressing training needs
• With regard to yourself, take responsibility together with your manager for your own development and ensure you maintain an up to date knowledge of all areas relevant to your role.
• To undertake such other duties as may be required and which are consistent with the nature of this post.
• At all times, to promote the interests of Royal Star & Garter and ensure that the culture and ethos of Royal Star & Garter is maintained, nurtured and supported.
• To ensure within the scope of your role that you promote health and safety and comply with the requirements set out in the Home’s Health & Safety Policy and comply with guidelines for moving and handling residents
• To actively promote the concept of Equality of Opportunity in all day to day activities
• To be aware of and comply with the Home’s security procedures
• The post requires a high degree of confidentiality. Therefore, the job holder will be required to meet these exacting standards at all times, whether in or outside work. Failure to comply with this requirement would be regarded as Gross Misconduct.
• To promote and deliver the highest standards of care, respect and support to residents, colleagues and others
We are a values-based organisation and strive to demonstrate our values in all we do:
We carry out our work with love, care and compassion
We are optimistic in everything we do, supporting veterans and their partners in leading happy and fulfilled lives
As a family
We work and live as one team, one family, one community
Standing in their shoes
We show admiration and respect for people and never forget what they have done
We are not afraid to do what is right and what is needed
Our Mission Statement
To provide an outstanding range of quality care and therapies to veterans and their partners living with disability or dementia.
• Registered Nurse with current registration
• Experience in care and nursing older people and or dementia care
• Committed to delivering the highest standards of customer service
• Demonstrate good judgement, problem solving and decision making
• Proactive and able to use initiative
• Able to motivate others
• Experience of care planning
• Effective organisational and team building skills
• Good Communication skills (written and verbal)
• Reliable and punctual
• Demonstrates an understanding and desire to work with older people
• Team player, willing to participate in the training and development of colleagues
• Hold a mentorship qualification (or be prepared to undertake a mentorship course) to support student nurses and trainee nursing associates
• Evidence of post registration qualification or further education continuing professional development
• Evidence of Continued Professional Development
• General computer literacy including email packages and data entry
• Full Driving Licence
• Previous management experience
• Previous experience of using Microsoft packages (Word/Excel)
Areas of Competencies required for this role
Ensuring communication with others is clear and effective, both verbally and in writing, and
that the style and the language used is appropriate for the situation or audience.
Providing excellent care
A strong commitment to nursing the elderly and providing the highest standards of care to enable residents to allow them to live their lives as fully and independently as possible. It is about recognizing that each person is an individual and adapting one’s own approach accordingly.
Personal qualities - professionalism, resilience and self-awareness
Acting in a professional manner and showing determination, drive and commitment at all times and particularly when faced with challenges and setbacks. It is about being aware of one’s strengths and limitations and actively seeking and making use of opportunities for development.
Leading and getting the best from others
Leads by example and has high expectations of others and what they can achieve; recognizes and acknowledges the strengths of people in their team and shares their own knowledge and skills in order to develop them further. Challenges poor practice and performance issues in a timely and constructive manner.
Effective team working
Treating others with respect and working in a collaborative and cooperative manner building positive and effective relationships at all levels.
Developing a logical approach to work, evaluating situations carefully and thinking ahead to anticipate problems and deal with them effectively.
The charity reserves the right to update and amend this job description to ensure it accurately reflects the role. This will be agreed in consultation with the job holder and where possible the charity would hope to achieve mutual agreement to any reasonable changes.
For more information and to apply, please click the apply button.