Sister / Charge Nurse - Critical Care
Cromwell Hospital, Kensington London SW5 0TU
Full time, 37.5 hours per week, long days, nights and weekends
Here you’ll be welcomed. We champion diversity and we understand the importance of our people representing the communities and customers we serve. You’ll find an inclusive environment where you can be yourself and where everyone is driven by the same purpose – helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
Our purpose has never been more important than during Covid-19. Our approach to keeping our people, customers, visitors and patients safe is clinically-led and in line with public health guidance. We’ve implemented effective remote working/interviewing and safety measures across all our offices, care homes and clinical locations and we will continue to review our operating practices as the situation changes.
At Bupa, you can be the Nurse you want to be. With the autonomy to use your skills and strong benefits to support you, patient care can be your top priority. Building a career in Nursing has never been easier, with good hours, you can live a balanced, healthy lifestyle.
The opening of our breath-taking new single-bedded Critical Care Unit has brought us a refreshing start. With technologically advanced equipment, new staffing model and a revitalised team, it is exciting times to join Bupa Cromwell Hospital. The unit is currently looking for an experienced, confident and committed Charge Nurse who will lead and support the team both clinically and managerially.
This role incorporates both clinical expertise and leadership, working in partnership with the lead nurse and the multi-disciplinary team, ensuring professionalism and a focus on high standards of patient care. Providing advice and guidance to all members of the multi-disciplinary team, managing staff, rotas, appraisals, with effective communication skills and being able to apply a broad range of skills in order to ensure day to day management of the unit. We operate on a 4:3 model with 2 Supernumerary in charge staff. You’ll be provided with resources to develop personally and professionally, with access to internal and external courses so there’s always opportunity for you to grow and develop.
What you’ll do
Your duties will include, but not limited to:
• Assist the Lead Nurse with operational requirements in the delivery of a consistent, safe service in all aspects of the patient journey. Deputise for the lead nurse when required
• Manage nurses and nursing services by organising the duty rota and patient allocation according to unit staffing model. Anticipating requirements when clinical activity increases/decreases, assisting in forward planning of absences and the effective use of temporary staff ensuring correct experience and skill mix are in place to deliver care.
• Participate in the direct nursing care of patients as a clinical leader and expert.
• Encourage good working relationships within the MDT to ensure effective patient care and maintain a high morale amongst staff.
• Undertake clinical duties in any area that is reasonably requested ensuring that you practice within your professional competencies and abilities
• Lead in quality improvement projects and team specific audits
• Involvement in incident management and investigations
Critical Care Unit
The unit is a brand-new state of the art facility in our Cromwell Hospital. Our unit has 10 single beds and our nurses care for level 3 and level 2 patients with a range of medical and surgical conditions that require a high level of medical and nursing support. Various specialisms also involve Cardiothoracic surgery, Lung surgery, Renal Transplant, Liver Robotics, Orthopaedics, Neuro and Maxillofacial. The unit delivers safe, high quality care whilst providing a supported environment to the nursing team. Apart from the specialist and educational nurse, the unit also prides itself in its MDT which consists of Doctors, Pharmacists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Infection Control & Tissue Viability Nurses
What you’ll bring:
• A General Adult Nurse with an active NMC pin
• Current experience of working as a Critical Care Sister / Charge Nurse
• Completed ICU Course
• Completed Mentorship course (equivalent)
• Current experience of leading and support a team in both clinical and managerial duties
• Experience in risk assessment, complaints and incident management
• Desire to develop themselves and others, both professionally and personally
• Exposure to clinical audits, resource management, and involvement in quality improvement projects.
Our benefits are driven by what matters to our people. It’s important to us that these benefits support a work-life balance that keeps people healthy, both mentally and physically. As a Charge Nurse you’ll be eligible for:
• Internal and External training opportunities such as Excellence in Healthcare Programmes, Leadership & Management Diploma Programmes accredited by the Chartered Management Institute
• Annual performance-based bonus
• Payment of Professional Registration fees
• Equivalent to 25 days holiday per year, with option to buy or sell
• Bupa health insurance as a benefit in kind
• An enhanced pension plan, life insurance and income protection
• Support with travel costs via a season ticket loan or cycle2work
• Various family friendly benefits
• Opportunity to participate in our annual awards ceremony
• Medical treatment discount for employees and immediate family
Diversity and Inclusion
Bupa is committed to making sure that every applicant is assessed solely on personal merit and qualifications. We actively celebrate the diversity of our colleagues and provide an inclusive environment so you can bring your true self to Bupa. We’ll make sure you are treated fairly regardless of disability or circumstance. That’s why we’re happy to offer reasonable adjustments as part of our recruitment process to anyone that needs them.
Whether you’ve found your feet or are discovering a new path.
Welcome to a place that celebrates you.
This isn’t where you've been.
This is where you're going.
This is what we have belief in.
For more information and to apply, please click the apply button.
Closing Date: 25th October 2020
We reserve the right to close the advert earlier if we receive sufficient number of applications. Candidates are advised to submit their applications / CV straight away.